Monday, November 14, 2011

OHHHHHHHklahoma

Although I'm not really familiar with the musical "Oklahoma," I had various renditions of the song sung at me throughout the week from people who knew I was visiting there.

It was the week after their homecoming (and sadly, they lost too to Texas Tech but it broke their however long it was winning streak at home. Yikes)


It was so fun to hear about their homecoming traditions and how they were different/similar to ISU's. They do a huge "pomping" thing where they decorate these floats by tying little fabric strips on chicken wire to make the design and it is a HUGE and LENGTHY process. I didn't get to see any of the actual floats (because they were all at the fraternities and naturally destroyed after homecoming activities) but the pictures showed they were AWESOME. Kappas did a disney world theme (and called it "Sooner World)! IT was pretty entertaining at the chapter meetings, too, because two fraternities came and serenaded them to try and get Kappa to pick them for homecoming 2012. Talk about getting ahead of the game! Crazy, but funny to see the guys get so embarrassed to have to sing in front of all 250 chapter members.

Here are some pictures from throughout the week, I know my father was jealous he couldnt be there. I got to experience a lot of campus as well as many of the great restaurants in the area!
University of Oklahoma's Clocktower. You can walk under it because it has gaps between the brick columns at the base, so the rumor is you wont graduate in 4 years if you walk under it.

The flowers one fraternity brought to the chapter to try and get them to pick them for Homecoming. The adviser put them in my room for me, so thanks boys!

The Kappa House! 92 girls lived in it, and they have a "Kappa Hall" building across the street that is where they have all their meetings, etc.

The football stadium, got a personal tour from Barry (just kidding, Dad)

The outfit I almost bought for my dad and his friend Kent to wear on gamedays, but after the mental picture of them in these I decided for the good of the mankind to refrain.

Proof I actually found the stadium (after wandering around campus to all the bookstores looking for a simple postcard, how hard should that have been?!)

Notice the speakerphones on the top of the bell tower thing on the student union. Yep, no actual bells, just a recording played through those speakers! Lame

Boomer sign in Campus Corner, the shops/restaurant/bar area right by the university. Also, the Chipotle where I ate lunch one day and the quarterback from the team walked in!

Pe-et Tree. Something historical about it, dont remember. haha OOPS!

Last but not least, how I spent my Tuesday night in Norman, Oklahoma. Experiencing my first pageant that a chapter member was competing in. WOW is all I can say! 

I loved every second of my visit here because everyone was so nice and welcoming...I won't say I might be an Oklahoma fan now too until after the ISU/OU game in a couple of weeks. I tried to rub off some good luck there for my cyclones, so we'll see how well it works!!!

x's and o's and BOOMER SOONER!

Allison

No comments:

Post a Comment