Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Northwestern!

After a great weekend at home for UNI homecoming, it was a little bittersweet to get on the Megabus to Chicago for my next LC adventure. I luckily avoided the marathon traffic, and met up with my ride to Evanston at Union Station on Sunday.

The sorority quad there is interesting in that they are all together and owned by the university, so they all are unified looking (all made out of stone) and the fraternities are all together and made out of brick. The inside/floor plan of each is different though, which I thought was interesting.

My Home for the week (literally, the window to my room was the one to the right above the front door, it was interesting to hear some late night conversations from my room [especially when they were about me, "the LC" as I am so affectionately called by the chapter members, God forbid I actually have a name!])

Unfortunately, the week did not start out well as I got EXTREMELY sick Sunday night and all of Monday. No further explanations are necessary, I dont think anyone wants to hear the gory details ;) Haha. The president and VP-Organizations were so sweet to me, and made sure I had everything I needed (which quite honestly, was to lay and recover/sleep all day!). Not ideal, but I am thankful it wasn't worse.

I had some opportunities to run on campus and along Lake Michigan. Campus was absolutely gorgeous and I LOVED the skyline view of Chicago!

Remind me again, why ISU wasn't located on a lake?! They had a BEACH!

Painted rocks along the shoreline on campus. Pretty cool, but not sure I would want to be Jennie, "the Beautiful Dinosaur" or one of the hundred " (_insert name here__) Will You Marry Me" rocks.
My favorite! haha :) even though I hate sharks. 

Northwestern truly was a beautiful campus, and I got a tour from an official tour guide who was a Kappa. She was from London, so I was LOVING her accent, too!


Main gates to campus: Incoming freshman have a ceremony where they walk through them, and after seniors graduate they have a walking out ceremony! Full circle :)

The Fraternity quad
Campus Building that holds the original lyrics to the Beatles "Yellow Submarine
Took this picture for you, Mom :)

Where the original football field was! This has to count for me seeing their field, since the actual football field is further away from campus



The famous Northwestern Rock, different school organizations paint it, so it literally is different every single day!
The Library! It is supposed to look like books on a bookshelf.

The campus lake, literally right next to Lake Michigan

Quote from the tour.. "The only orange building on campus!".. how many orange buildings on campuses are there normally?
Campus building that I thought looked like First United Methodist church in CF! I dont know what it was for, I should have been paying better attention :)












Also, KKG's Founder's Day occurred during my time at Northwestern. I got to celebrate with the chapter, and there were even 3 alumnae who came to receive their 50 year pins and a 65 year pin! Whoa, can't wait til this is me in 50 years and I'm telling everyone about my Kappa traveling experiences :) It was a great way to truly see the big picture of Kappa and its 141 year history and 138 chapters across the US and Canada (A little bit of the LC speech coming out there)



Lovely Kappa Founder's Day cake.. gotta love the blue and blue and the key of course!
Came with her daughter who was also a Kappa to receive her 65 year pin. She went to Purdue!
New Member Pledge Class Sisters from Northwestern with their 50 yr pins!



I was anxious for the weekend, since I was going to stay in Chicago with my friends Annette and Lizzie from school! Our friend Ryan came up from the Quad Cities to spend the weekend in Chicago as well. Annette has an internship in the city, so she was off on Friday to hang out with me once I got dropped off at their cozy studio apartment. Lizzie is in culinary school, and sadly has class on Saturday morning so she was busy with that.

I had so much fun being in the city with them, and we went out on Saturday night to meet up with more of the ISU Kappas who are in Chicago now. I had a GREAT weekend, but after a sudden wakeup call to catch my 8am flight from O'Hare (lets just say I missed my alarm, and GOT to O'Hare at 7:15 for my 8am flight, and made it. I'm officially an expert traveler for SURE) I was on my way to Ithaca, NY (Along with Lizzie and Annette's TV remote... oops!)

ISU Kappas in Chicago!



x's and o's from Upstate New York!
-Allison and the infamous TV remote



No comments:

Post a Comment