Thursday, November 10, 2011

Ithaca is Gorges

But really, my first experience of upstate New York at Cornell University could not have been at a better time of year! Luckily, I missed most of the rainy days that the students there are used to, and had beautiful fall weather to go along with the GORGEOUS trees that were in full fall color!

The bridges used to only be made of all the green metal part, but so many students were jumping off the bridges/committing suicide that they put up the black safety fences. Depressing, eh? I guess Cornell has a reputation of being a depressing school between the hard classes and the hard winters.
Home for the week! My window is the one up and to the left of the front door.
Another view of the bridge connecting north and main campus. I was on a lower walking bridge that is right over one of the waterfalls (See below pictures)

This is a view from the footbridge


 View from the main bridge.. so you can see the little footbridge I  walked on right over the waterfall!



Famous hotel school of Cornell. They call the hotel students "hotellies"
Had to take this picture for Lizzie, since it kind of fit with her major at ISU of hotel restuarant institution management!


I got to go on Cornell's football field!
  I dont know what this building was, but it looked cool :) 

 Thought about getting some Andy Bernard apparell at the Cornell Store (Which was underground!)
The Cornell Chimes Tower. I didn't get to go to one of the concerts, but FINALLY a school with real bells! The



West Campus, at the bottom of a HUGE slope. I would NOT want to be a student who has to live in those residence halls!
Ezra Cornell statue! Fun Fact: Cornell is the only Ivy League school to not have graduated a President of the USA!

Where I got to run/walk every day! SO BEAUTIFUL!



I had such a great time in Ithaca, but also because I was looking forward to coming back to Iowa for ISU's HOMECOMING! Football isn't very big at Cornell, so the chapter was all confused as to what the big deal was.

Catching my 6:20am flight out of Ithaca was frustrating. For such a small airport, the security line was SUPER long and full of people who didn't know how to go through airport security. Okay, so I might have been a little impatient, but STILL! is it really that important that you get your yogurt through the security checkpoint, and how did you NOT know you couldnt take a full water bottle through security? People these days... 1 layover and I was in Des Moines by 9:45!

Unfortunately, I wasn't good luck for my Cyclones, but it was SOOO great to be back at my Kappa chapter, and to see all my friends and family :)

I'm a lucky girl!

x's and o's from the Gorges of Ithaca
(Don't worry, I didn't jump.)

-Allison









  













No comments:

Post a Comment