Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Empire State of Mind

Welp, seeing as these blog posts are all going to be from last year (sorry for the delay), I guess I'll start with my visit to the Big Apple and our newest chapter of KKG at NYU!

I had a great visit to NYC and stayed with the chapter consultant, Allie, who lives and works in NYC as well as being the one who runs the show of helping this new chapter grow and function. She's great and so dedicated to what she does. She went to Michigan State and was an LC last year, so it was fun to talk about our stories from the semester and we both had the midwestern mindset still :)

The night of the first chapter meeting I attended was Halloween. NYU happens to be surrounded by the parade route, and lets just say it was a little frightening to see scary masked men and full on vampire costumes etc etc taking over the streets/subway/everywhere. During the day, I questioned whether the man in a dress was the norm or if it was because of halloween.. to each their own i guess!

I like to think I paved the way for the Cyclone Fans who stormed the city over new years for the Pinstripe Bowl. I just visited 2 months too early!  Here are some of the highlight pictures of my visit:
Frozen Hot Chocolate at Serendipity!

Times Square

WAY too visually overwhelming!!! Bright, loud, smelly.. sensory overload!

The 2011 ball in Times Square!

Worlds Largest Macy's

Empire State building.. only 4 blocks down the road I stayed on!

Flat Iron Building

One of the many cool looking cathedrals mixed in with the skyscrapers!

The closest i got to nature all week.. Central Park, and you could still see the buildings! Truly a concrete jungle

Washington Square Park, right by NYU

My cousin Natalie's school!

Got to see Chelsea after she got off work!

World Trade Center Memorial

Putting irises on the names of all the Kappas who died during the 9/11 attacks

Allie and me

Construction on the new world trade center building!


From outside the memorial

Some NYU Kappas and me at a museum of natural history/art/i dont really know!

Radio City Music Hall

Absolutely OBSESSED with Rockefeller Plaza. OBSESSED!!!!!!

My Favorite!!!!!!!!!!


NYC Public Library / Bryant Park

A highschool right next to the apartment building I stayed in.... not sure how i would have handled school in the city!

Entrance to the high school...

NYU Kappas doing the "KKG gang sign" that I taught them. What a great influence i am :)

Mariachi band serenading the subway

Fellow LC Sareena and I before the NYU Kappa's initiation!

And to think I navigated the whole city without a smart phone! :)

x's and o's from NYC

Allison

No comments:

Post a Comment