Sunday, June 3, 2012

Not a "hole" but a WHOLE lot of bikes.

Off to California in late January! My carry on suitcase named "Choo Choo" got his own seat, the flight attendant just asked that I buckle him in. This trip to California was also eventful, as my next "seat buddy", a big fella from Baltimore kept trying to talk to me at the end of our 3.5 hr flight. I wasn't really having it, and finally he asked what I would say if he wanted to "keep in touch" after this.. What do you even say to that!? Not to mention, he was going to Sacramento for the week and headed back to Baltimore, which is where I was off to next, too. No worries, no big fella sightings after that awkward flight.
One of our family friends advised me before going to UC Davis that it was not that great, aka a "hole" of a place, but I loved my time in No-Cal! I could get used to the milder weather, while still getting the different seasons! I may not have fit in running outside though, as the whole Track and Field and Cross Country team ran by me on the track bundled up in sweat suits from head to toe while I was soaking up the sun in my tank top and shorts!

Another fun thing is that I got a bike to ride for the week! There is more bikes than people in Davis, CA (who would have thought?) and home to a USA Bike hall of fame! The campus is very large/open and so every student rides their bike to every class. They even have bike circles that supposedly the freshman on campus struggle with, so it is a big thing to go and watch the freshman try to navigate them as you are bound to see a "bike crash". Lets just say I was a little nervous riding on my own on campus for the first time, and I actually did get weird looks when I was walking on campus and not riding a bike!

Home Sweet Home for the week! Cutest house EVER!
It was perfect timing for a visit to California, too, as I was loving the weather in January! Sunny and 60, I'll take it!


Sun deck at the Kappa House!


Back parking lot and bike parking area

Back of the house


Making my Dad jealous of the sun and palm trees!

Not only do they have palm trees but REDWOODs in the campus arboretum! Definitely one of my favorite places I have ran this year.

Their campus/town has busses from London. They still have the original stops on the bus from London. Supposedly, London is trying to buy them back but Davis isn't budging on that.

My ride for the week

Go... Aggies? Making me feel at home in the Big 12! UC Davis is a big Ag school, unbeknownst to me.

Just one of the many colorful buildings on campus

Found this on the sidewalk while I was on a run! Made my day :)

One of the many bike circles.

Two of my favorite places: The yellow frozen yogurt  place and the green cupcake shop! A lot of restaurants/shops around town are all converted houses.

US Bicycling Hall of Fame!

Loved these trees! What a perfect day

And another taste of London!

Last night in California, cant complain with that forecast! So clear!

For my mama! Hutchison Hall, even spelled correctly!

Bikes on Bikes on Bikes!


These random egg head statues are a trademark of UC Davis. This one, right outside their main library,  is supposed to represent how students feel at the library. I agree.
Only in California, a rack to lock up skateboards/longboards.
Now for a 6 am flight out of Sacramento to Baltimore. Here we go, marathon travel day! (Lets just say I woke up at 3:30 am. Thankfully no sightings of the creepy man!

Sincerely Sad to Leave California--
x's and o's

Allison

No comments:

Post a Comment